Yanko Spasov’s first real life experience with programming was as a first-year student in Informatics. He used his newly acquired skills to fix bugs in video games that he used to play at that time. In addition to this, his hobby turned into something bigger and he started making AI bots and some small robotic projects on Arduino. After he graduated from university, Yanko became a web developer who had the goal to enrich his practical .NET knowledge. Currently at BGO Software Yanko is involved in and works on the IMS software – a user-friendly system of forms for incident management.
- How long have you been working for the company and how did everything start?
I joined BGO Software back in 2014. The company was recommended to me by a friend. My first interview with Ivailo Ivanov (BGO Software CTO) left me with a very good impression and a feeling that this was exactly where I wanted to be.
- What are the biggest challenges in what you do?
The biggest challenge is to find balance between wanting everything to be perfectly done and doing it on time.
- What are the most fundamental skills you should have for your current position?
The most important skills, at least for me, are to be creative and able to think outside the box.
- As a developer, tell us what it is like to be one.
It’s never dull or boring. As soon as something becomes mundane and repetitive, you write scripts that automate it and present you with the next challenge right away.
- My favorite moment of the day is in the afternoon when I’m fully awake and full of energy thanks to the lunch I’ve had before that
- The first thing I notice about a person is if he is the positive or the negative type of person
- The 3 things I cannot work without are Google, chocolate and my brain
- My 3 favorite online places are reddit, YouTube and Twitter
- When I am offline, I hang out with friends or just read a book
- I love my job because I get to learn new things every day and be around people with whom I can share different challenges and experiences
- I get inspired by ordinary people doing extraordinary things
- If I had a superpower, it would be flying
- On my nightstand you will find a glass of water and my phone
- I come to work sleepy
- I learn the most from my mistakes
- If I had to describe myself in 3 words, they would be tall, honest, and stubborn
- The strangest thing I believed in as a child I don’t remember
- One person I consider a genius is Nikola Tesla
- My favorite quote is (no quotes by Paulo Coelho if possible) “Fall down seven times, stand up eight.” Japanese proverb
- If I win from the lottery, I will probably invest the money to double the amount
- If I have to describe to my grandparents what I do for a living, I will tell them it’s magic
- My philosophy in life is stay positive, be friendly and open to new ideas