Petya Nikolaeva-Stoyanova has been working as a programmer for 15 years. She started her career when she was still a student and was writing on a pure C on QNX (a real time operating system). Next, Petya had a chance to be part of a new company for Medicine software, which turned out to be her first experience with designing and implementing a brand new system. She found things to be quite challenging because she was the person for most of the things around the project, from managing, designing, coding, training to help desk. This was the time she realized that this profession was the right choice for her. Petya foresaw that the web technologies will go ahead of desktop applications and will be one of the most fast expanding branches in the IT field. Therefore, she focused her skills on web programming. Her affinity are the big long-lasting serious systems.
- How long have you been working for the company and how did everything start?
I have been working for BGO Software for about 3 years. I knew Ivailo Ivanov from the days I used to work for Infonetica – Plovdv. So HARP was panned to be developed and Ivailo asked me to join the team. I knew what kind of person he was and what working for him would be, so I accepted the offer.
- What are the biggest challenges in what you do?
Often we should work in a multitasking mode, and we should also learn fast the innovations in the technologies that we work with.
- What are the most fundamental skills you should have for your current position?
To be reliable and to work in a team.
- As a developer, tell us what it is like to be one.
I have always believed that our job is something special. It is not only writing code but inventing a product which people use. We should combine many skills. Perhaps, we are like artists and with every new project we should take on a new role.
- My favorite moment of the day is early, early in the morning when the air is fresh and everything is calm.
- The first thing I notice about a person is his/her cloths and sense of humor
- The 3 things I cannot work without are my headset, coffee/tea, music
- My 3 favorite online places are YouTube, Wikipedia, and Facebook
- When I am offline, I spend time with my lovely children
- I love my job because it gives me challenges every day and I’m never bored. I have the feeling that I am constructing the future, even though I am a small part of it 🙂
- I get inspired by people who work hard to achieve their goals
- If I had a superpower, it would be the ability to fly
- On my nightstand you will find some books which I’ve started reading but never really finished them
- I come to work to create something meaningful and feel valuable
- I learn the most from Internet and my colleagues
- If I had to describe myself in 3 words, they would be sensitive, dialogic, woman
- The strangest thing I believed in as a child: I cannot remember if there was such thing
- One person I consider a genius is Nikola Tesla
- My favorite quote is (no quotes by Paulo Coelho if possible) “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” Gandhi
- If I win from the lottery, I will spend most of the money on building a daily center for children. With the rest, I will travel abroad
- If I have to describe to my grandparents what I do for a living, I will tell them that I help people do their jobs better
- My philosophy in life is: Live my life worthily, give the maximum from me in the things I do, try to love not to hate